Can we have Yellow for dessert?

Written by Amy on November 25th, 2015

Most of the trees in back of my mom’s house have shed their leaves, yet one maple’s golden display still catches the morning light, a glorious dance of life amidst the change of season.

At the breakfast table mom did what she often does when she insistently wants to share: she vigorously pointed out the window  saying, “Look at that! Look at that!!”

“Yes,” I said, “isn’t it pretty?”

“No,” she corrected, “It’s beautiful.”

Indeed :-)  One lone maple tree with it’s bright yellow leaves, swirling and dancing in the breeze, amidst the skeleton branches of other trees and the blue blue sky. Beautiful.

Then she added thoughtfully, “Can we have Yellow for dessert?”

I nodded, “Yes. That is a good idea. Yellow looks delicious, doesn’t it?”

“Yes!” She said with great satisfaction.

And we sat there for a good while longer, taking in the Yellow, as the wind and the sun danced with the leaves.

There are so many kinds of hunger in this human body-mind: for food, warmth, necessities, camaraderie, love, respect, beauty, contribution….

This Thanksgiving, I send you warm wishes that your feast includes the nourishment of all aspects of what your body, heart, and mind long for.

And….

May we notice when we want more pie,
and when what we really want
is more Yellow!

12 Comments so far ↓

1. Nance says:

My yellow space is holding a citrine necklace in front of my heart. It’s like basking in sunshine even on a winter”s day.

2. Amy says:

Thanks Nance! Basking in yellow, the color will never be the same for me.
    Another friend sent an email in reply:
    From Neruda:

“Si termina el amarillo, con que vamos a hacer el pan?”

“If the yellow runs out, how will we make bread?”

3. Wow, I loved this so much I read it twice. Very beautiful. Thank you.

4. Amy says:

Thanks Sue, glad you enjoyed :-)
    Makes me happy to know that I conveyed some of that beauty in writing too.

5. Ooooh, yes please! I love this, Amy!

Love the capacity to know that we really want to experience–really want to feel–“yellow” (or green or light or warmth or softness or intimacy). And not pie.

(Or maybe we DO want pie…but that’s something different and doesn’t get to “the point”–regardless of whether we indulge in it or not.) Thank you!

6. Nicole Sansone says:

I love this! Thanks for sharing.
    For some reason when I read this I pictured sitting in my Nana’s kitchen. Sometimes when she ate breakfast she’d silently stare out the window into the yard looking at? Watching her and eating in silence gave me such a peaceful calm feeling. If I had to put a color to it it would be that soft billowy white-clean and innocent.

7. Amy says:

You’re welcome! Thanks for invoking Nana for me!

8. Amy says:

Great! As you are a mindful foodie, I can imagine that the many types of hunger make sense to you.
    Let’s have our pie & eat it too :-)

9. Heather says:

Thank you very much for sharing the yellow. One of my favorite things is sunlight through leaves. It reminds me of sisters giggling about stories.

10. Judy Keenan says:

Absolutely beautiful. I can see your Mom at the table over the years and her zest for all the beauty outside the back window. Cheers to yellow!

11. Amy says:

You’re welcome! I think I hear them giggling now …

12. Amy says:

Cheers to yellow :-)
    She is quite Zest-filled, that’s for sure. Tomorrow is her 92nd!